Okay, this is just a spillover from RPG.net in a discussion with Argent and I do appologize for that... but it's something that's been gripping me whenever someone says "archery charms don't work with weapon X."
I feel that unless specifically noted as NOT working with something, charms do work with weapon X and this is the references I point at when saying archery charms do work with weapon X.
And yes, this does mean that there is a strong chance that in a modern day exalted, you can use archery charms with guns.
- Savage Seas page 126 - Light Implosion Bows, note how it has no limitations on archery charms.
- Savage Seas page 127 - Lightning Balistae, it's fired with archery ability, but is stated it can NOT be used with archery charms.
- Outcastes page 51 - Warstrider Implosion Bows, no limitations vs archery charms.
- Outcastes page 52 - Essence cannons, no limitations vs archery charms.
- Outcastes page 53 - Fire Lance, can NOT use archery charms, use archery ability or melee (CAN use melee charms).
- Outcastes page 59 - Medium Implosion Bows, can NOT use archery charms, uses archery ability
- Outcastes page 59 - Warstrider Fire Lance, no limitations vs melee charms, can not use archery charms. Archery or melee abilities can be used with no problems.
- Blood & Salt page 120 - Light Implosion Bows, no limitations vs archery charms.
- Castebook Night Page 76 - Crossbows, uses archery ability, but is NOT compatiable with archery charms that allow the use to fire multiple shots per turn.
- Autochtonians Page 188 - Crossbows, uses archery ability, but is not compatiable with archery charms that allow multiple shots per turn, unless developed especially for that purpose.
- Fair Folk Page 277 - Crossbows, uses archery ability, but is not compatiable with archery charms that allow multiple shots per turn, unless developed especially for that purpose.
- Fair Folk Page 281 - Dragon Sigh Wands, uses archery ability, has no limitations vs archery charms, can be used with Righteous Devil Style.
- Scavenger Sons Page 37 - Fire Wands, uses archery ability, has no limitations vs archery charms.
- Player's Guide Page 254 - no limitations on the Rigteous Devil Style weapons there, but it is a short write-up, and only has the stats and appearances. So, unless Neph or the author of that section says otherwise, it's a bit iffy. But I'm going with what I've already stated; in that if it doesn't say it won't work, it does.
So... let's discuss if I'm right or if I'm wrong regarding valid archery weapons and why.
~ haku who problably shouldn't be up this late...
You seem to be correct in your assumptions about what charms are compatible with which abilities, though I might add a proviso that without some means of rapid reloading, EA charms are not compatible with firewands (and derivates) that have only one shot, since as far as I remember, the reloading process is rather time consuming.
In a modern game, I would probably allow Archery charms to be used with firearms. Since I imagine in most modern games 95% of the skill use would be for guns, I would probably rename it "Firearms" anyway because that seems to make more sense to me. - Kraken
- Hmmm... point, yeah a name change and it looks all good, doesn't it? But I do have to agree with you regards the no multi-shots per turn charms unless specially designed to do so. It's not that time-consuming thou (takes 1 turn or so). ^_^;;; ~ haku
- I did mean time consuming on a combat timescale, where one turn is quite a significant chunk of time, rather than time consuming in the grand scheme of things. - Kraken
- A very good point that... without special reloading charms like those in RD style, yeah... reloading is going to take time... and it's -expensive-. ~ haku
- Well, for the Shogunate game I am flat-out stating that standard Archery Charms do not work with warmachine/artillery level weapons. This is purely because during that period this class of weaponry is far more common than during the Second Age. That doesn't preclude the existence of custom Charms meant for them, of course. ^_^ - harsh Moxiane
- Which is fair enough. Since that is a ST fiat and is specific to certain types of weapons. ~ haku
IIRC someone actually suggested allowing archery charms, except for the ones the create ammo. (Personally, I think these are only a problem for things like Implosion bows, which generally have a higher mote cost than the charm. ). This seems like a reasonable compromise to me, although rate restriction on crossbows seem stupid. Personally, I don't see that much of a problem with Firewands. Firewands are pretty balanced vs standard bows (Firewands have crap for range. Leaping Dodge Method outranges them!)-FlowsLikeBits
- I don't know... I mean, creating ammo is to the tune of 2 motes per 'shot', while with light implosion bows, the cost is 1 mote (for light shots) and 2 motes (for 'heavy' shots). Mind you... there is a limitation on how many times you can fire the darn thing; 100 shots and it HAS to be given maintaince... So, the shoot everyone while I have ammo trick isn't going to be super effective beyond the first 100 people getting slaughtered...
But yeah, the rate restrictions on crowssbows is a tad odd, but it's as per the books as needing specially designed charms... ~ haku