A Different Tack
Disclaimer: Many if not all of the links on this page may require registration on their respective forums. I honestly have forgotten which do and which do not.
- I am a player looking for a Storyteller and some other players for a game of Exalted.
- I prefer a darker play/game style, with fairly adult content and tone. I don't shy away from most topics, though I don't revel in overmuch detail when such detail is not necessary and doesn't advance the story (sex for the sake of sex is boring in a game, and there are numerous cyber sites for that, besides; sex that drives Character or Plot, or even some degree of Tone, however, would be not bad).
- As far as tack, I think it would be interesting if people who respond to this do so with Character or Plot or Theme ideas, presented in firm, declarative statements. If you are determined to play a particular Exalt type, for example, say so (though be willing to compromise later in the process, if your idea needs tweaking). Be assertive.
- Myself, I have been hankering to play a dancer-type for some time. Whether she would have any weapon skill or not would depend on the story, but if she had any, she would be a spear user (perhaps the Pentacle style in the PG, or something similar).
- For story, I like the idea of something at least slightly social, say perhaps an intrigue story, set in the Realm, or maybe in one of the three major cities of the River Province (Lookshy, Nexus, or Great Forks). The idea of a travelling perfomance troupe sounds good.
- In any event, I hope that this garners some response!
- A darker game could be interesting... and a traveling troupe, likewise.
- If anyone's willing to run it, I'll submit my Rain in Autumn (here) as a potential PC.
- He was a somewhat less dramatic spin on Sparrow's basic concept that I built for another game that, sadly, never got off the ground. Eclipse solar kabuki actor and social spy.
- As always, Brightfires, I absolutely LOVE your characters! ^_^
- I am sad however that you didn't suggest Sparrow. Not that I have any interst in that name, even. ^_^ Seriously, though, welcome aboard.
- I really like the Presentation alternate Attribute that Shataina created. If possible, I'd like to use that, rather than canon Appearence, but I'm flexible.
- I'm still working on a couple of possible builds for my dancer character. I'm looking at variations from each fatsplat except Abyssals and Autochthonians.
- Do you think a travelling circus type group would be appropriate, or would a specifically theatre-themed one be better. I like the idea of a Noh-style to my dancer. ^_^ It would be fun! Or maybe one straight out of Kabuki? The Warrior role? So many possibilities! Of course, if we were to style this on a Japanese-trope theatre group, some Kyogen comedians would be a good addition as well...
- Another thing that just occured to me:
- The two most appropriate Natures for a performing group would probably be "Gallant" and "Jester". Other Natures can also be played very enjoyably, but those are probably the most common in a performing group.
- Of course, I could just be barking at the moon on this...
- Sparrow himself would be almost impossible to pull out of the context of the 'Usual Suspects' these days... I'd have a heck of a time running a tandem version of him without shifting into "The guy who gives Ahn nightmares"-mode.
- 'Not sure what type of troupe would work out better... It probably depends entirely on the character types involved. I'm partial to a Kabuki troupe myself ([grins] No surprise there-).
- Re: natures.... I picked Architect for Rain as opposed to Gallant (Which is what I gave Sparrow-) to reflect a personality that was more interested in building a lasting legacy than being the center of attention... On the small scale, Rain wants to build a new troupe to replace his master's lost one. On a larger scale, he's interested in altering social expectations regarding anathema. His particular avenue for doing that is performance... primarily popular theater.
- I wasn't really expecting to pull Sparrow out of his current play. I just especially like that character, is all. And his name. ^_^
- I can totally see that concept as far as nature. What I was getting at is that those are, if one were to classify rl natures, what would probably most be pulled to a performance career. That specifically (and I'll make it explicit here) does not exclude other natures. Architects fit in great, as do Followers, Bravos, Leaders, Survivors, etc. Critics would fit in especially well (when is art EVER without its critics?).
- As for the type of group, the more I think about it, the more a theatre group idea grows on me. However, since this is Creation, the Japanese elements should probably be alloyed with other culture-tropes. I'm specifically thinking that the theatre of Creation would include a long tradition of Immaculate-themed mystery-plays. Theatre being the effective thought-control vehicle that it is, I just can't see the Sidereals completely ignoring it, especially the Chosen of Serenity. Comedy would also be an important part of any potential repetoir, with parody of the troupe's own performances alternating with satire of local politics (in more tolerant areas; dangerous otherwise), and original standup and improv routines. Martial tragedies and histories would probably be most popular in Lookshy, though they are likely to be of interest on the Blessed Isle as well, though well-censored. A different sort of mystery play might be very popular in Great Forks, with its large spirit and elemental population, not to mention its ruling trinity. There are a number of different types of drama with which to enlarge or modify the repetoir-types of a Kabuki-themed group.
- Do you see Rain as speciallizing in one or more of those areas, or as a broad-based type of actor? I'm looking for a very sensuous style for my dancer, not to the point of stripping or anything like that, but definitely a dance style that draws the audience in and makes them hold their breath, and maybe do that little twitching more-or-less in sync with her movements thing that really great performances can inspire.
- Agreed re: the cultural influences... In the version of the Realm our Heptagram game is set in, there's also a tradition carried over from the Shogunate (and earlier, though only the lore specialists really know that-) of what Phantom Grun's character Lakath dubbed "Blood and Thunder" operas. Essentially, take your average Wagnerian tragedy, run it through the lens of Chinese kunqu, add a bit of kabuki's over-the-top drama... and you end up with things like 'White Crane and Dragon's Daughter'.
- They also have a tradition of formally structured, spoken poetry accompanied by music composed for the individual piece. That's actually the kind of thing I could see Rain doing well. He might also make a good Noh actor. He's got the right feel for that. Sparrow never has... He's just too kinetic a personality.
- On the flip side, for the same reason Rain just doesn't strike me as the Kyogen type...
- Ha! From what you have up on the wiki, I can believe that. On the other hand, some of the best comedy is delivered by the "straight man" after all. ^^
- I like those ideas for performance traditions. ^_^ That's good thinking, and good blending of genres.
- As for Noh, I'm all over that. ^__^ I was just thinking about how to utilize a fan to create the impression of a spear on the stage...
- I had an idea for a Zenith that might work well in this game. A "seen too much blood" actor-cum-orator, formerly of a now-defunct monastic tradition that preached consensus, self-determination, and abstinence from aggression -- essentially, that the will is too valuable to squander through killing or even compulsion. (I almost typed "the human will" before realizing that Exalted has many willful entities that are most certainly not human )
- [BEGIN poorly thought-out, skeletal history]
- His order was considered radical, and as potential opposition to the ruling dynasty in his tiny state (which had recently turned to aggressive annexation of its somewhat tinier neighbors) they were massacred. He caught the Sun's eye while trying to uphold the values of his order even while the walls burned around him (which may or may not be metaphor), and walked unharmed from that place amidst the laid-down spears of the weeping combatants.
- His order demolished and his homeland closed to him, he travels with the troupe as both an actor and their announcer, picking up experiences and refining the theology that lives on only in him.
- SuzumeGames/END poorly thought-out, skeletal history]
- I see him framed as someone who wants to be Gandhi in a universe where Gandhi would just have been eaten, the dreamless husks of his followers sold into slavery, and his angry animal soul left to wander about and molest farmers until an Immaculate put it out of its misery.
- ...Plus, it's just not Exalted if you don't have a wandering monk.
- Oh, and he hits a really big drum. Okay, that's not integral to the character, but it's symbolic of him being the heart of the group. Or something.
- I just want him to hit a really big drum.
- The Really big drum is a must, anyway. ^^ You're supposed to have a few drummers on different types of drum for Noh, and both Brightfires and I seem to like the idea of something with at least a little Noh flavor. ^_^ Also, too, in Kabuki.
- Welcome aboard!
- Brightfires: Is this a portrait of Rain? Or is it a different chara? (obtained through looking at the NC-17 thread... Hehe! ^_^ )
- It is indeed. Well, it's his quickie concept sketch, anyway... I always intended to do a "real" picture for him if I got to play him.
- Looking forward to that! ^^
- Unrelated: One houserule I've looked at for a few months now is DariusSolluman's system of alternate Difficulty ratings from the wiki. Has anyone looked at this? If so, what do you think? I'd like this game to use that, if no one greatly objects.
- That's actually pretty close to the scale we use with the 'Usual Suspects' and our Abyssals... It's also pretty close to the scale we're using in Shallow's Sidereals game.
- 'Come to think of it... I don't think I've ever played with anyone who used the core book scale. Five successes is just too easy to get, especially for a Solar or Abyssal character. Even our little Terrestrial sorcery students over in the Heptagram game routinely get that or over in their favored areas.
- That's exactly the point. While I'm not entirely convinced of all of the exact levels for everything, that's mainly because I tend to be very sceptical until I review something through at the level to which I could publish in a journal (professionally ^^; ), and I'm not THAT willing to work on this. ^^ It looks good enough to run with.
- On a different note: Given Rain and sporkpimp/Albert's proposed Zenith, I'm thinking that a DB, GB, or HM would be a bit low-powered. A suitably designed Raksha might work. A Solar (I'm leaning to Night Caste for that build) would be an obvious fit. Likewise, a suitably built Lunar could easily work. A Sidereal (probably a CoSerenity) would be a touch harder, but could work. An Alkie would probably be hard to context in, but could be interesting. Any preferences from anyone else? Advice? Absolute refusals? Personally, I'd rather not do an Abyssal for this. On the other hand, playing an Infernal using DeathBySurfeit's Infernal rules might be very amusing.
- A raksha could be fun...
- A lunar, likewise.
- Infernals just... bother me. I've never liked the idea of those guys as PCs. 'Not sure why, exactly, but they just strike me as something better left as an NPC antagonist. Then again, I have pretty much the same reaction to Alchemicals.
- Aww. But that bother-factor is what makes them such fun! ^^ Oh well. I'll give up that idea, then.
- More seriously, though, I'm working from a visualization derived from this picture by *auroreblackcat on deviantart. Probably a lot less jewelry, but definitely the loose, flowing skirt or maybe very loose, lightweight trousers (almost a middle-eastern look), any of a number of different tops, and long, flowing hair (which I find immensely sexy ^_^ ). The hair would be a dark, almost liquid blue-black. The eyes a dark brown color. Skin tone is olive, but she avoids tanning by wearing a hat and long sleeves and such when out in the sun. Her wardrobe tends toward soft colors, especially blues, greens, and yellows. She makes light use of perfumes from a variety of flowers, enough that there is a noticeable scent, not enough that most people would be able to identify what exactly it is. She doesn't make use of rouges or powders, only a light moisturizing cream. She is often heard humming tonelessly. When speaking with someone, she tends to look them directly in the eyes, which is occassionally disarming or disconcerting. Whatever language she speaks, she tends to have a soft, but noticible accent, though most would have a hard time identifying its origin...
- As for stats... Those will come once I come up with them. ^^;
Stalker of Shadows:
- Hmmm, I don't have any pre-built Solars that would fit the performer troupe easily. I'll look into what all Lunars have that might be of interest tonight, the only Lunars I have built are combat monsters.
- I suppose it would be possible to play a raksha, but building raksha characters makes my head hurt.
- What kind of performing troupe would it be? Serious professionals (like actually from a major city) or more a band of gypsies that is used to entertaining Scavanger Land yokels?
- I'd storytell, but thats all I've been doing lately and I really want to PC some.
- Hmm, interesting idea: Lunar with Dream Courtesan. That would REALLY hurt on starting charm slots and xp though, benevolent storyteller required
- Welcome aboard! As far as power level, it's looking like at least celestial exalts, so far. I'm looking at Lunars, too, but I'm thinking that I'm going to have to go with a Solar to do what I like.
- A Raksha could be nice, and yes, they do make the head hurt. Then the side starts to bulge a little. On closer investigation, the bulge is starting to separate, forming itself into a little mannikin. Then you realize that the mannikin's arms are rummaging around in your skull, and you realize with a dropping feeling in your stomach, and with a series of increasingly sharp pains in your skull, that it's trying to rip free your brains to give to the nice raksha. Very nice raksha. Maybe she'd let you rip your own brains out to give to her. She seems nice that way... Yay, I stunted this part of my post. I give myself an additional two dice from my "I'm too cool for my assumed head" pool... ^_^
- As far as the group, I don't think we'd actually established that aspect very concretely. So what of it, folks? Is this to be a group that moves quietly from one village to the next, putting on The Wars in the Stars for the local yokels, who have never heard that the white knight's father is really the horriffic Dark Anathema©? Or are we instead a jaundiced (yuck, everyone has renal failure at the same time?!?), city-based group performing the very most recent and esoteric piece by Flaming Nose Turd, the moderately unfamous Savant of the Stage© (not a playwright, how crass!). Or is the fact of the matter somewhere inbetween? What say ye?
- Note that this will obviously have a large effect on tone, and more importantly on theme, two things we don't have quite pinned down yet, either. ^^
- Rain himself is very much a professional, but that doesn't mean he isn't bumming around the backwoods with the locals. 'Probably wouldn't be a good idea to make too big a target of himself quite yet.
- That's kind of the thinking I was doing. Occassional trips to the city would not be a bad thing either, though.
- What starting power level are people interested in? Utter naif? Somewhat experienced? Been knocking around Creation for a while? Insanely powerful demigods (okay, MORE insanely powerful... ^^ )? Any thoughts on xp/extra bp/freebies?
- Also, is there anyone out there willing to ST for us? Honest, we're not too smelly. Really. ^^
Up to date as of morning, 20-07-2005. -Suzume