While Medicine works with making plants grow, Ride is the ability with which Wood Aspects interact with animals of all types. As the Dragons of all things that live and grow, Ride has charms for breeding as well as those to properly ride or empower animals. Of course, as Telgar already did those well and comprehensively enough in his Dragon-Blooded Ride, I point you to those and will attain myself to the fun part of giving familiar powerups. Shinies... o.o
Elemental Companion Cascade
Great Heart Companion
Cost: 2 motes
Duration: 1 turn per success
Minimum Ride: 3
Minimum Essence: 2
Prerequisite Charms: Scattered Pearl Hoof Falls
Same as Exalted: The Dragon-Blooded, page 231. However, the Dragon-Blooded has the extra option to spend 1 willpower and experience points equal to twice its required Background level to turn the creature bound to him by Great Heart Companion into his Familiar. It may also be used to increase the Familiar's level, by paying 2 exp per dot added.
Elemental Majesty Method
Minimum Ride: 4
Minimum Essence: 2
Prerequisite Charms: Great Heart Companion
Terrestrial force pumps into the Familiar's blood! It rises, filled with the power and might of its empowering element, the potence and flickering reflexes of fire, the stoic strength of earth, the quick thoughts and quicker reactions of earth, the flowing grace of water, and perhaps greatest of all, the deep-rooted beauty of wood! Little changes outwardly, but those who understand the elements can feel it, can see it... that the beast they face is touched by the Terrestrial Elements, and greater than any beast has any right to be because of it! This Charm affects each Aspect differently:
- Air: +2 to Dexterity and Wits
- Earth: +2 to Strength and Stamina
- Fire: +2 to Strength and Dexterity
- Water: +2 to Dexterity and Stamina
- Wood: +2 to Stamina, Dexterity and Appearance
Wreath of Terrestrial Discord
Minimum Ride: 5
Minimum Essence: 3
Prerequisite Charms: Elemental Majesty Method, Dance of the Jade Bridle
Elemental Essence blossoms within the Familiar, and with a roar of power, it is wreathed in the power of the Five Terrestrial Elements! Manes of flowing water, teeth dripping corrosive dew, veins burning with lava under its skin... the Familiar becomes as Elemental as Beast. Upon purchase of this Charm the Familiar becomes immune to the anima flux from Dragon-Blooded of the same aspect as its master and doubles its soak against damage sources of that element. Further, it receives one of the abilities below:
- Air: The ability to become invisible, incurring difficulty 4 in being spotted, and 2 to be fought against.
- Earth: +5B / +5L soak and hardness.
- Fire: Claws and teeth of fire that add +2 to the accuracy of its natural attacks, and +5L to their damage.
- Water: The ability to flow over its opponent's blows, receiving a reflexive dodge pool equal to its master's Essence, and +3L / +3B Soak.
- Wood: Receives poison akin to Court Poison. If already poisonous, add its Appearance to the Poison's damage, half to its difficulty.
Elemental Blossom Heart
Minimum Ride: 5
Minimum Essence: 3
Prerequisite Charms: Wreath of Terrestrial Discord
Not pelt of grass or teeth of ice, the Familiar that experiences the Elemental Blossom Heart scours away its mortality in a maelstrom of Elemental Force, ascending to its rightful position as an Elemental of Creation through the elemental soul of its master! Forever after the Familiar is an Elemental being, whose kinship with the character remains unaltered, even enhanced. Its characteristics remain the same, except for those changed in the following ways:
- Its Essence and Valor increase to a minimum of 2.
- It becomes able to soak lethal damage with half of its stamina.
- It acquires an Essence Pool of (Essence x10) + (Willpower x3) + (Sum of Virtues x2) - typically 51
- The Familiar's appearance becomes even more elemental than before.
- Tbe Familiar's behavior becomes firmly elemental, picking at least 3 characteristics from its element from the table found on page 295 of Exalted.
- The Familiar receives one Elemental Power, two if its Familiar Rating is 3, and three if it is 5.
- The Familiar's intelligence does not change, but if already intelligent, it receives the ability to talk in any language its owner knows.
The numbers above assume a typical beast familiar has Essence 2, Willpower 5, Compassion 2, Conviction 3, Temperance 1 and Valor 2 after they become Elementals. Most non-Familiar beasts have lower Essence, Willpower, and Compassion. The Elemental Essence reforms upon death as all spirits do(Unless utterly destroyed with the likes of Ghost-Eating Technique), but Elementals do not reform as themselves - the Dragon-Blooded retains his Familiar rating, but the new Elemental possesses none of the memories, species, or even the same traits of its predecessor - only its aspect remains constant.
Terrestrial Alpha Revelation
Minimum Ride: 5
Minimum Essence: 4
Prerequisite Charms: Blossom the Inner Dragon Discipline
Mere beasts command their species and their prey, but an Elemental commands the very lifeblood of Gaia herself! Enhanced by the character's own command of his own Exalted nature and enlightenment in the elemental ways, the Familiar becomes an alpha to the world, able to channel its will into the terrestrial elements and bend them to its whims! Enhanced by the Terrestrial Alpha Revelation the Elemental Familiar...
- ... receives one extra Elemental Power.
- ... receives the Affinity Elemental Control Charm for its respective Element.
The character may buy additional Elemental Powers to his Familiar for 4 Experience Points apiece.
At some point should the Familiar not become an Elemental? If it's gaining Elemental Powers, shouldn't it be one? Also, why does Inner Dragon Disciple give a Perm Essence rating = DB's? What good does it do a normal animal to have high Essence scores? And generally, unless something is sentient and has access to its pools, I think it should be Essence 1. So I'd remove that part of the Charm. - Telgar
- I figure most Familiars /are/ sentient. And Familiars seem to grow up to become Proto Puma Prime and Helgrifnir, so it begins there. I almost thought of making them Elementals for a moment, but... if I want them to become something like that eventually, they should not become common Elementals - GoldenCat
- Change of heart... Dragon-Blooded should create elementals - legendary 'real' beasts are the province of Solars, Abyssals and Lunars. Elementals do not have to possess human intelligence, however - they do possess essence pools, but both GoD and SnS make it pretty clear that many Elementals are only of animal intelligence. - GoldenCat
Oh, and aren't these RIDE Charms, not Medicine? - Telgar
- Blame lazy copy-and-pasting. - GoldenCat