killedshadowrun: stupid formula poetry... killedshadowrun: we have to write one of those "I Am" poems for AP English 4... [[KirinDave]]: Fucking poems :-) [[KirinDave]]: "I Am" [[KirinDave]]: by David Fayram [[KirinDave]]: I am... [[KirinDave]]: Tired of poetry [[KirinDave]]: It's not more powerful [[KirinDave]]: Free verse is not the cure [[KirinDave]]: For the malaise of the mind [[KirinDave]]: Talking with pauses... [[KirinDave]]: Does not make you more profound [[KirinDave]]: Rhymes and riddles [[KirinDave]]: Are only for giggles [[KirinDave]]: I am [[KirinDave]]: Sick of people who are poets [[KirinDave]]: and damn well wanna show it.
In high school, I once wrote a sonnet about how I resented poets. _Ikselam\\ Aha, found it.
- This sorry sonnet that you see
- Is my best attempt at poetry;
- Once you scan it I suppose
- You'll see why I favour prose.
- Poet Envy
- How grand to be a poet, able to
- Make the ordinary seem sublime,
- And do so with no more than a few
- Well-chosen words and an occasional rhyme.
- How wonderful to have others think one's
- Soul is full of beauty and thoughtfulness
- Simply because one can find the words for
- Things which others feel, but cannot express.
- Yes, we normal folk do not stand a chance
- Against a poet, when it comes to romance.
- A pox upon sonnets and poems,
- A plague upon meter and rhyme;
- Nothing anyone says will convince me
- That they aren't a waste of my time.
- Others perhaps may find pleasure
- In composing a couplet or verse;
- I find such a pastime unpleasant
- (I can't think of a torture much worse).
Glorious. I once made a poem for class by randomly inserting line breaks in a Yahoo! news page, as a statement of some sort. I'm more partial to double dactyls, myself*:
- Slashingly smackingly
- Geoffry Grabowski
- Wrote up a book full of
- Charms, called Exalted
- A man of the church of
- My normal life since has
- Damn all but halted.
~Jabberwocky\\ * Limericks too, but I won't even start with those. Isaac Asimov has some hilariously filthy books full of them, if anyone's in to that sort of thing.