From Exalted - Unofficial Wiki
A Lunar's Deadly Beastman Shape is typically a killing machine, incorporating aspects of both the human and the animal into a horrifying new whole. Entering this warform reflexively costs 5 motes, which are not committed and do not count as using a Charm. Furthermore, despite the name, the Deadly Beastman Shape need not be a form for War- some Lunars become preternaturally adept at controlling others or at solving problems, while others simply enhance their native talents in a general fashion.
This warform is constructed with 4 Points and 2 Gifts initially. These Points may be spent to enhance Attributes- which can rise up to a maximum of Attribute+Essence. Increasing Strength, Stamina, Appearance, Charisma, Manipulation, Intelligence or Wits costs 1 point. Increasing Dexterity or Perception costs 2 points. A Lunar may have a total of Essence x 3 Attribute points (that's not increases; a Lunar with Essence 2 could have a maximum of 6 Attribute points, which would be only +3 Dexterity, or +1 Dexterity +2 Strength, +2 Stamina.
If a Lunar's natural soak (from Stamina and Gifts) rises above 12, they may apply further increases to either increasing their natural soak higher or increasing their Hardness. There is no definite upper maximum on either value.
You may have at most Essence Gifts. Note that getting a Gift which has a pre-requisite eliminates the original Gift, thus freeing up a slot. Put another way, a Lunar who has Resilience of Nature and Wound-Knitting Power has only taken 1 Gift, but has paid for two.
Deadly Beastman Shape Attributes and Gifts may be purchased at Character Creation with bonus points, or after character creation with Experience. Attributes cost 1 bonus point per attribute point (and thus 2 per point of Dexterity or Perception), and 2 bonus points per Gift. Alternatively, Attributes cost 4 experience points per attribute point, or 8 experience points per gift.
- Bestial Reflexes: Increase base Initative by +3. This may be taken twice, and only counts as one Gift if done so.
- Lightning Speed: Double base movement and jumping distances.
- Spider Foot Climbing: Requires Bestial Reflexes or Lightning Speed The Lunar may move at normal speed up walls and across ceilings, stopping and hanging at any orientation.
- Gift of Hands: Grow an additional set of arms, which reduce the multiple action penelty by 1 (to a minimum of -0), and make a number of actions equal to the total Rate of their weapons. This may be taken multiple times, each time adding two more pairs of arms.
- Terrible Beast Claws: Gives the Lunar Claws. Claws have Essence + Dexterity points to spend between Speed, Accuracy, Damage, Defense and Rate. Each point in Speed adds +2, while Rate costs two points for each increment. No more than Essence points invested in any single attribute. These points may be reflexively changed once each turn. This Gift may be taken up to two times, and the total number of points it grants is cumulative.
- Terrible Beast Maw: Gives the Lunar Jaws. Jaws have Essence + Strength points to spend between Speed, Accuracy, Damage, Defense and Rate. Each point in Damage adds +2, while Rate costs three points for each increment. No more than Essence points invested in any single attribute. These points may be reflexively changed once each turn. This Gift may be taken up to two times, and the total number of points it grants is cumulative.
- Resilience of Nature: Heal 1B per turn and 1L per hour.
- Wound-knitting Power: Heal all Bashing per turn and 1L per turn.
- Fearsome Appearance: Creatures of Willpower less than (Essence + 2) suffer a +1 difficulty acting against the Lunar (attacking or defending), and the Lunar adds 3 dice to all intimidation attempts.
- Terrifying Bestial Visage: Creatures of Willpower less than (Essence + 2) must make a Valor roll (difficulty 1). On a failure, they flee; on a success, they suffer a +2 difficulty to opposing (attacking or defending against) the Lunar. All others suffer a +1 difficulty acting against the Lunar (attacking or defending), and the Lunar adds 6 dice to all intimidation attempts.
- Rugged Hide: The Lunar adds 2 to their Bashing and Lethal soak. This Gift may be taken a number of times equal to their Essence, and counts as only one Gift.
- Poison Bite: The Lunar's bite is toxic; on any successful bite attack, their opponent must pass a Stamina + Resistance test (difficulty equal to the Lunar's Stamina), or suffer an additional 3L, unsoakable.
- Deadly Breath: The Lunar may send 1 Willpower to fire something deeply unpleasant at his enemies, such as fire or acid. Such an attack has an Accuracy equal to the Lunar's Perception, and deals a base damage of (Essence x 4). Attacks are made with Thrown or Athletics.
- Ghost Sight: The Lunar may freely percieve immaterial entities.
- Ghost Touch: The Lunar may freely physically interact with immaterial beings.
I just wanna say that I think I'll be giving this version of DBT ashot in future games I run. I might playtest it with NPC's first in order to see how it works and go from there i think. Something I wanted to note though on the Poison Bite gift is that the text in the Lunar book is in error on how poison actually works in Exalted. The roll should be Stamina + Resistance, rather than Endurance. Just a note.
Noted. Thanks :) DS
This is really, really similar to the system I developed independently and put up on my site, except for the parts I added about Appearance masking your Tell and your Tell fade as you spend time without shifting. — Mapache
Should Rugged Hide have the same note as Bestial Reflexes, where taking it multiple times only counts as one gift? - HeridFel
Let me see if I've got this right:
- A starting Lunar character begins with 4 points to distribute among Attributes in Deadly Beastman Shape.
- Increasing any Attribute except Dexterity or Perception costs 1 point per dot.
- Increasing Dexterity or Perception costs 2 points per dot.
- A Lunar (any Lunar) may have a maximum of (Essence x 2) Attribute points at any time. Points above the beginning 4 may be bought with bonus or experience points.
Correct? -- JesseLowe
- Yes, with an important note. The Tell Background increases the cap you can raise the Attributes by. So, an Essence 2 Lunar with no Tell maxes out at having a DBS Strength +2 greater than normal; the same Lunar with a Tell of 1 can have a Strength +3 greater, with Tell 3 they can have Strength +4, and with a Tell of 5, they can have Strength +5. --[DS]
Oh, another note: As written, Terrible Beastman Claws are worse for an Ess 2, Dex 4 Lunar than a straight up Power Combat punch (Speed +0, Acc +1, Damage +0B, Defense +2, Rate 5). The only advantage is being able to swap around traits and -- although this is not explicit -- Lethal damage. -- JesseLowe (July 19, 2005)